A four-day overnight wilderness camp for kids wanting to explore, discover and play in the ocean and the forests of Gambier Island, the heart of Howe Sound.
Why Ocean Camp?
We are offering a small group, rustic and comfortable camping experience where kids will hike the trails, snorkel along the shorelines and paddle within Halkett Bay. Showers not required (but brushing your teeth and washing your hands are!).
Campers will participate in wilderness cooking lesson, sleep in tents, use an outhouse and have the best Tom Sawyer and Huckle Berry Finn experience possible – all while being supervised and guided by our excellent instructors.
Ocean Camp Highlights
- Four days of camping on a gulf island (Gambier Island) within the amazing Halkett Bay Provincial Park (25 minute water taxi ride from Horseshoe Bay)
- Exploring the coast line by paddle boards and hiking trails
- Swimming and snorkeling supported by one of our lifeguard/instructors
- Mud baths and forest games
- No showers – there’s an entire ocean to clean up for 4 days
- Lots of shade and sun
- Outdoor meals – delicious and nutritious meals prepared by our wilderness cuisine chef. Kid friendly meals and kids help with dishes!
Overnight Camp Details:
Dates: July 19 – 22, 2018 (Thursday to Sunday)
Kids Ages: 8 to 12
Location: Halkett Bay, Gambier Island
Drop-off: Thursday July 19, 2018 @ Government Dock, Horseshoe Bay
Pick-up: Sunday July 22, 2018 @ Government Dock, Horseshoe Bay
A Typical Day At Ocean Camp
7:00am – Wake-up and our famous Polar Bear dip
7:30am – Ocean’s Best – bird calling or carving
8:00am – Prepare for breakfast
8:30am – Breakfast
9:00am – Clean up site/tents and prepare for full day of adventure
9:15am – Howe Sound Morning Activity (snorkeling, raft building, canoeing, sailing)
12:00pm – Lunch (either on the ocean or on the trail)
12:30pm – Magic Spot (30 minute reflection time)
1:15pm – Afternoon Hour (forest games, hike to Gambier Lake)
4:30pm – Free time (fort building, bracelet making, fishing, swimming)
5:30pm – Prepare for dinner
6:30pm – Evening group paddle
8:30pm – Sunset watch with campfire
9:30pm – Brush teeth & story time
- camper instruction
- all meals
- tent accommodation
- water taxi
- a good time!
- contact us directly for rates!
Not included: Snorkeling equipment and fishing rod & tackle – must bring if desired
Note: We rent sleeping bags, pillows, towels, head lamps and camp chairs for those needing extra comfort