2021 Yukon River Paddle for Educators
Vancouver Outdoor School offers a variety of engaging and skill-building workshops and programs for teachers, educators, support staff and those interested in developing their skills, techniques, and strategies for interacting with students, both in and outside the classroom. We provide the tools and support for overcoming challenges, so you and your staff can feel more confident in your ability to design, lead and offer learning and life-shaping experiences.
Yukon River Expedition for Educators and
Community Change Makers
More than a summer professional development opportunity! It’s an incredible adventure that will benefit you and those you teach.
Tired of being stuck inside and not feeling inspired during the school year. Needing something different to do over the summer holidays? Want to carve 10 days of your summer vacation and come paddle down the Yukon River with educators and community change-makers?
Vancouver Outdoor School has partnered with Fireside Adventures to lead an expedition-style canoe paddle down the Yukon River. Part of this expedition is just pure fun and relaxation and the other part is an experiential professional development opportunity.
Come and learn what Vancouver Outdoor School’s version of Wonder. Wisdom. Work. Wellness. when it comes to teaching and inspiring learners. We will also share the wealth of our experience, skills and knowledge in regards to community outdoor experiential education.
“I am not a teacher, but an awakener.”
— Robert Frost
Your instructors have a combined 35 years working in traditional education, outdoor experiential education and social work passing along their expertise for the following:
- Community outdoor experiential education (framework, first steps and connections with core competencies)
- Teaching leadership within the classroom
- Forest Bathing and student-led self-reflection practices
- Connecting social and emotional learning within the classroom and schoolyard
- Best practices in working with Indigenous learners
- Much more!
Imagine yourself in the middle of nowhere, breathing in the best air on the planet, canoeing down the majestic Yukon River with a massive sky above you. This is you enjoying your own postcard moment on the door-steps of what many call heaven.
Are you in need of a personal Yukon adventure? A perfect remedy for mid-life career fix, a pause in life to refocus, or a new perspective for teaching? All you need is a getaway to unplug, learn new and relevant skills and be inspired by injecting a canoe expedition into your bloodstream and soul.
- Unplugged from wifi, phones, computers, home and work life;
- Customized for educators and community
- Fully guided, multi-day canoe trip while paddling down the Yukon River from Carmacks to Dawson City;
- Led by experienced guides gifted in teaching outdoor leadership and wilderness skills who will provide support for the entirety of
- Fabulous wilderness gourmet cooking prepared by your guides and fellow
paddlers (yes…you have to help out as it all about learning, right!);
- Step back into time by hiking the old trails in search of the Yukon Gold Rush
abandoned cabins and panning for gold; artifacts
- Sleep under the stars on some of the Yukon River’s pristine river islands
- A chance to see the Northern Lights dance above your head and experience the Midnight Sun!
- Learn the basics of front and backcountry camping, river canoeing,
orienteering, hiking and risk management;
- Learn to apply community and experiential education into your classroom that
connectscore competencies to learning;
- 24/7 instruction & support
- tent accommodation while on the river
- group camping gear and canoes during the trip.
- Does not include flight, fishing license and accommodation in Whitehorse and Dawson City but we can connect you with deals and options (ask us about our special Air North rate!)
- $2149.00 – $2,449.00*
- * If you plan on bringing a friend, please email us to receive a discount code…that’s how this sliding scale works!
Vancouver Outdoor School has partnered with Fireside Adventures to lead an expedition-style canoe paddle down the Yukon River. Part super fun adventure and part experiential professional development opportunity. For those who work in schools, summers are to relax, refine and review your plans before returning to school.